Buttermilk is a primary drink of the Indians. It is mainly consumed in the south of the country. It is a very healthy and an extremely nutritious drink. It is prepared by simply beating up yogurt and adding several spices to it. One can add spices like powder of roasted cumin seeds, red chilli powder and black salt. In south people add green chillies as well as salt to the buttermilk.
There are various good health advantages of consuming buttermilk on a regular basis. Some of them are listed below:
1. Since buttermilk is a dairy product, it is very rich in calcium. Calcium, as you know is very good for the growth and development for the bones and muscles in our bodies. Thus, if one needs good bones and muscles, he can regularly take buttermilk.
2. Buttermilk proves to be very good from relieving a person from inflammation and acidity. Buttermilk is easily digested by the body.
3. Buttermilk is very good for the reduction of dehydration and constipation. Taking in buttermilk makes up for the lack of water in our bodies.
4. Buttermilk gives a good boost to our immunity system. It provides nutrients like carbohydrates and some of the healthy bacteria in our bodies. Lactose present in it gives us energy and charges up our immunity system.
5. Buttermilk is a drink which is very rich in vitamins. A glass of buttermilk is full of vitamin A, B, C E and K. It also has riboflavin, thiamin, and niacin. These important vitamins help to keep our bodies healthy and are the supplier of essential nutrients.
6. Buttermilk also contains important minerals like potassium, zinc, phosphorus and iron.
7. Buttermilk does increase the amount of calories in your bodies. Hence, even health conscious people can take it on regular basis.