Like Shah Rukh Khan, his stellar filmography too rules Bollywood. King Khan has acted in more than 80 films until now and has been honored with numerous awards over the course of his exemplary career. Here are the top must watch Shah Rukh movies:
1. ‘Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge’ (1995): This marked the start of epic Shah Rukh-Kajol jodi craze. It has completed two decades of theatre run and was awarded with ten Filmfares. Shah Rukh essays the role of Raj, who befriends Simran – Kajol’s character. What starts as a journey turns into serious romance and the two overcome all hurdles to win the battle of love.
2. ‘Baazigar’ (1993): This one saw the actor in gray shades. He played a grave murderer and it was his breakthrough role as the sole lead. It also marked the Bollywood debut of Shilpa Shetty and ‘Baazigar’ was Kajol’s first commercial success as well. Shah Rukh played an interesting character Ajay, who simultaneously dates both the ladies. He was honored with Filmfare Award for Best Actor.
3. ‘Swades’ (2004): The actor plays Mohan Bhargava working at NASA. He returns to India to find his nanny and meets interesting people – one of which is his childhood friend Gita (Gayatri Joshi). He then comes face to face with the issues that plague the villages of India and is keen to solve them. The film went on to win numerous awards and is still regarded as one of the best B-town movies until now.
4. ‘My Name Is Khan’ (2010): Featuring Shah Rukh-Kajol pair, this Karan Johar film dived into the issue of discrimination associated with terrorism. Shah Rukh played Rizwan Khan – a very different person with special abilities. Rizwan and Mandira (Kajol) is a happy couple, until September 11 attacks. Hell breaks loose when Mandira’s son is beaten to death and she blames Rizwan for it.
5. ‘Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham…’(2001): The lovely family drama comprised of Shah Rukh, Jaya Bachchan, Amitabh Bachchan, Kareena Kapoor, Kajol and Hrithik Roshan. The film narrates the story of Raichand family who suffers a rift when Rahul (Shah Rukh) marries against their will. The younger son Rohan (Hrithik Roshan) then reunites the family in the most wonderful way.
6. ‘Kuch Kuch Hota Hai’ (1998): The first film and the first hit film too of Karan Johar, it received iconic status among the youth soon after it was released. Rahul (Shah Rukh) is just friends with Anjali (Kajol) who feels for him. Rahul marries Tina (Rani Mukherjee) and the latter passes away after giving birth to a daughter. The film tells how this daughter reunites Rahul and Anjali.
7. ‘Dil Se..’(1998): The thriller features the Amar (Shah Rukh) and Manisha Koirala. Amar relentlessly follows this strange woman and it is later revealed that she is a terrorist. The film features the complicated romance of the two against the backdrop of terrorism and the beautiful Kashmir.
8. ‘Devdas’ (2002): Shah Rukh plays love struck Devdas who yearns to marry his childhood love Paro (Aishwarya Rai). He is devastated when his family goes against the relationship and resorts to alcohol. After leaving home, he falls in love with courtesan Chandramukhi (Madhuri Dixit). He realizes his love for Paro and wants to get back to her, but Paro is married now. The film ends on a sad tone of the lovebirds being separated for ever.
9. ‘Darr’ (1993): An obsessive lover couldn’t be portrayed in a better way! He plays Rahul, who would stop at nothing to have Kiran (Juhi Chawla). But Kiran is engaged to Sunil (Sunny Deol) and this worsens Rahul’s obsession. Rahul ends up dying and this puts an end to his dangerous schemes for pursuing Kiran.