Green bean casserole is that casserole which has loads of green beans, cream from a good mushroom soup and freshly fired French onions. It can be prepared variously. You can also put in many spices like ground black pepper as well as soy sauce. Green bean casserole is a very popular dish that is served during Thanksgiving ceremony in the United States of America.
This great dish was first made in 1955 by a soup company called Campbell Soup Company. A person named Dorcas Reilly has led the entire team that has created the recipe when they were working as staff members in the department of economics at home.
Let’s see how this delicious yet extremely easy dish is prepared.
To make the topping:-
- Onions- 2 medium sized and sliced thinly
- All purpose flour- 1/4th of a cup
- Panko bread crumbs-about 2 table spoons
- Salt- 1 teaspoon or according to your taste
- Non sticky cooking spray
To make the beans and sauce
- Kosher salt divided separately in 2 table spoons and 1 teaspoon
- Fresh green beans- 1 pound, finely washed, trimmed and cut into halves
- Unsalted butter- 2 tablespoons
- Mushrooms- 12 ounces, finely trimmed as well as cut in pieces of ½ inches
- Fresh ground black pepper- ½ a teaspoon
- Garlic- 2 cloves, finely minced
- Nutmeg- freshly ground, about 1/4th of a teaspoon
- All purpose flour- about 2 table spoons full
- Chicken stock- 1 cup
- Half and half- about a cup
Method of preparation
1. First keep the oven preheated to 475 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Mix all the onions, panko, flour and salt in a large sized mixing bowl and toss them thoroughly so that they get mixed very well. Take a sheet pan and coat it with non sticky cooking spray and spread the onions evenly on the pan. Now, take the pan and place it on the rack of the oven and bake it for about 30 minutes until the onions turn into a golden brown color. Toss this onion for 2-3 times during the cooking is going on so that it gets evenly colored. Remove the pan from the oven once it is done and keep it aside for later use. Now heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. When the onions are getting cooked, make the beans ready. Bring about a gallon of water and put salt in it. Boil this in a saucepan. Add the fresh beans into this and allow them to blanch for about 5 minutes. Drain the water and immediately pour the beans in a bowl of ice water to make it stop cooking. Drain the water and keep it aside.
4. Over about medium high heated iron skillet, make the unsalted butter melt. Now add mushrooms, pepper powder and a teaspoon of salt and cook it. Give it an occasional stir. When the mushroom start giving out some liquid, after say 4 to 5 minutes, add garlic and the ground nutmeg in it. Cook for about 2 minutes. Sprinkle flour over this mixture and keep stirring. After a minute, add the stock and allow it to simmer for another minute. Decrease heat to medium and put in the half and half. Cook for about 6 minutes till the mixture gets thick.
5. Remove this from heat and put in ¼th of the onions and the beans in it. Stir it very well. Put the onions on the top and bake it till it bubbles evenly,
6. Take it out and serve hot.
Preparation time-20-25 minutes
Serves- 5 people