Sinuses are air pockets located around one’s head, eyes and nose. Their primary function is to secrete mucous which heats and moistens the nose tract and filters the air we inhale by separating the dust from it. A sinus infection causes pain around these regions. Sinus congestion is the reason behind this excruciating pain. It occurs in the event of the sinuses and nasal cavity getting inflamed and depositions of mucus due to bacteria and fungus. One should wait for a week for the pain to subside but if it continues to persist, then it is time to visit one’s doctor. Medical treatment of sinus is a guaranteed relief procedure but many would want to know if there exists a home made cure for the disease. Several food items have been proved to be effective against sinus. It is highly advisable that one tries these natural cures before taking drugs for the same. These food items behave like expectorants and reduce the thickness of the nasal secretions, the root cause behind the infection. Some of them boost our immunity and possess magical antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties too.
The food items that can be effective in combating sinus infection are :
- Pineapple – Contains bromelain, an anti inflammatory substance.
- Garlic – acts as an anti bacterial and an anti fungal substance. Also boosts the immune system.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – checks mucus production
- Yoghurt – prevents sinus infections
- Horseradish – clears sinus congestion and augments saliva production
- Chicken Soup – thins the mucus deposition thereby clearing the sinus
- Vitamin C foods – reduces the inflammation caused by sinus and boosts the immunity of the person
- Eucalyptus oil – reduces congestion caused by mucus
- Water – the elixir of life keeps the nasal cavity moist
- Omega 3 fatty acids – checks sinus swelling and clears congestion