In a few days time BMTC is all set to test run an electric operated K9 bus taking rounds in the city. The bus has already arrived in Bangalore and is ready for attest run. The car is certified with an Automobile Research Institute of India certificate and just waiting for permission from Transport commissioner. Confirming the news a BMTC official said “We plan to run trial operations of the bus for three months before any decision is made on purchasing it. It depends on how it performs on the city’s roads. We have also received permission from BESCOM with regard to additional power that will be needed to charge the buses”.
The bus comes with four Ferrous batteries and each capable of 540 volts. Manufacturers believe the car can run for 250 kms with each battery. The batteries can be charged within six hours. The air-conditioned vehicle weights 14,300 kgs, and is 12 metres long, has a seating capacity of 29, plus a wheelchair, in addition the driver. It can run at an utmost speed of 96 km per hour and can switch from 0-50 km per hour in 20 seconds. The bus is currently running in countries like China, Malaysia, and Singapore. However the bus is slightly modified for better compatibility in Indian conditions.
The advantages of electric Bus are:
- The bus has zero pollution and it is the best feature.
- The running cost is as low as four kilometer per kilometer.
- Maintenance cost is also low and no need of engine oil.
- It has low noise and will be comfortable to drive in Indian conditions.
- The bus can run comfortably for 250 – 300 kilometer for a single charge.
- Wheel chair fitted for physically challenged passengers.
- The bus is completely air conditioned.